Sunday, September 14, 2008

What's Great About Having Two Anniversaries?

You always get another year to redeem ones self! Or at least that is what Dave is thinking right now. See we were married twice to one another, the first year was our legal marriage and the following year we had our large wedding with all our friends and family.

So last week we celebrated our 10th "legal" anniversary. Although we couldn't do anything on the actual dates, we did get a chance to do something later in the week. We had to take our youngest with us (kind of funny since we had Kain with us on our honeymoon 9 years ago) but Dave still planned a surprise get away for us.
The first half started out wonderful! We drove up to Door Co. and started our adventure biking through Peninsula State Park. We biked 9.5 miles through the park and although it was over cast the rain stayed away for our ride. It was beautiful and although a bit of sun would have been nice the temperature was perfect.

Dad ditching Ozzye to check the map...

When we returned we checked into our suite which was right near the park entrance in Fish Creek. We showered up and made our way out to dinner. We continued up the bay side of the peninsula until we found a cute little supper club to have dinner at across the street from the bay. As we headed back to Fish Creek it started to rain but when we arrived it only seemed to be misting so we decided to take a walk since it was still quite warm out. Well not even two blocks down the road it started pouring, luckily we hadn't gotten any farther away from our room!

Dave wearing Ozzye! I think this was my present.

At first we must have looked like very "green" parents having our little baby out in the rain but then we figured new parents wouldn't have even brought their 4 month old baby out when there was even so much as a cloud in the sky. I think we laughed all the way back to our hotel as it rained harder and harder. Ozzye slept like a champ when we got in out of the rain so we could warm up in the huge whirlpool in our room. He was so sweet the whole time we were there.

The next morning, after sleeping in of course (Ozzye is an awesome sleeper!) we drove over to Bailey's Harbor on the lake side. We found ourselves at Cana Island Light House. The island was adorable and they had just reopened the actual tower part of the light house this year so Dave was able to take the tour up. Ozzye and I opted to stay on the ground and take some pictures.

Now you maybe wondering why with that beautiful 24 hours what Dave could possible have to redeem next year... well after we left Bailey's Harbor we stopped back at home to drop off the bikes before heading up north... WAY up north. Now starts part two of the anniversary extravaganza, which ended up being the anniversary from hell.

Let me start with a little background first. My parents had won this free night at a resort in Three Lakes, WI. Where? Exactly! So Dave arranged for the two older boys to stay with his Dad for that night and my parents met us up there with the two little/middle kids. It was so far out in the middle of NOWHERE that after going an hour without seeing ANY towns I teased Dave and asked if he had finally snapped after 10 years and he was looking for the perfect place to do me in. Then out of no where we turned a corner and this huge resort popped up... of course there was still nothing else to go with it.

After getting to our room and settling in, with my parents and 3 small children... that right there should have sent up a red flag in his mind. Now don't get me wrong, I love my children and God Bless my parents they do so much for us, especially my mom and we love to vacation at VERY nice resorts with them but this screamed romance only slightly more than when my Grandma offered to take us to Branson, MO to their time share for our honeymoon with them. Anyway I am off track... Dave surprises me with a massage which ended up being wonderful. It was kind of like a sweet farewell to a beautiful trip because after that everything seemed to go wrong.

After my massage we headed out to find a place to eat with two very tired, excited to go swimming children. A ways up the road in the middle of NO where we found 3 bar/restaurants because well... that is all there is to do that far north is eat and drink. The place had good food but of course being a bar smelled like one and being only 1 of 3 places had a wait... and then we waited again for our food, so much so that Aubriel passed out at the table only after listening to her whine about how bad she wanted to go swimming.

We return to the hotel and the kids are STILL waiting to go swimming. So we get ready at 9 PM and head down to the pool. We settle into the hot tub and my Dad starts talking shop. Now those of you that know what my Dad does knows he is usually full of two kinds of stories, ones that are insanely funny about stupid people and ones that are disturbing about creepy people. This night he must have only had the latter, again the romance is oozing. Only slightly more than what our son's head almost was.

No sooner, of course, than we tell the kids to STOP running on the floor that was not only wet but must have been buffed and coated with Teflon as well Brody slips and catches himself with the side of his head. He was not bleeding but with as large as it swelled I am thinking he may have been better off if he was. So we scope him up off the floor, I now feel like I am going to throw up, and go back to the room to wash the kids up and get them in jammies. The whole time I am wondering if he needs medical help but not like it would matter any since we are in the freaking middle of NOWHERE. But he seems no worse for where so we take the kids out to the bonfire in the back of the resort.

Again... Brody... Fire... something should have gone off in our heads but no we still thought this would be a good idea. But after Brody continued to try to throw huge logs on the fire it didn't take us long to figure out this probably wasn't the best idea and we tired again of Aubriel's whining that she was cold so we went back to our room. We put the kids on the sofa pull out, turned on a movie for them and took our baby to bed with us. After sleeping only about an hour Brody wakes up screaming. We take him to bed with us and finally get him settled down. Now realizing there is not enough room for all of us in our bed I take the baby out on the pull out with Aubriel. Another hour goes by and if Brody hadn't woken up screaming again I am sure I would have from the bar in the middle of my back.

So I go back into the bedroom to help Dave calm Brody down. Once he was back to sleep I made myself a bed on the floor. Dave felt bad so he took the mattress off of the over sized chair pull out in our room and placed that on the floor for me. I suppose the hard jagged springs my body was now resting on did keep me from experiencing pressure points from the hard floor. It was kind of like a torture device... they pierce your body ever so slowly with springs.

Finally morning! Thank the Lord the kids woke me up, I never thought I would say that and yet Dave had the nerve to yell at them for it. I instantly spring out of bed (no pun intended)... well as springy as one can be in that condition. I am sure at this point that my whole body must have felt like Brody's lumpy head and I am jealous of him that it is only his head. We get packed up, loaded up and fed and we hit the open road... quite literally. As we drive home Dave says "I am surprised at how few cars I am seeing for it being a Sat.?" Really? You are? How is that even possible, did you miss where I said we are in the middle of NOWHERE! Why on earth would there be cars on the road? And the beautiful resort we stayed at wonders why they are not doing well. Now, we know why they are giving rooms away.

So I suppose it just wouldn't be one of Dave's surprises without this little part of the trip. My dear, sweet, husband has the biggest heart and I LOVE surprises but I wonder if whoever said it is the thought that counts ever had one of Dave's surprises? He has said he is going to give up on surprising me but luckily for him we will be celebrating 10 years again next year, hopefully he won't give up just yet!

No comments: