Friday, November 16, 2007

3 Months down... 6 to go!

I am 14 weeks through my pregnancy today which means I am out of my first trimester which also brings much relief! I got through the first 3 months pretty easy. I was lucky to not really have any morning sickness this time around which was much how Brody's pregnancy was. Gage was by far my worst pregnancy for morning sickness which seems to be common for second babies for some reason but I also switched to whole food vitamins with Aubriel's so maybe that is why. I have read a vitamin deficiency can cause bad morning sickness and can take its toll on you when your kids are close together as Kain and Gage were.

I have gained 1# since two weeks ago but am still down 4.5# from the two weeks before that but I am not complaining since I wasn't quite where I wanted to be when I got pregnant anyway. My blood pressure remains low as usual which is only bad the few times I get light headed and dizzy. My Dr. actually use to joke that she could tell when I stressed when I had "normal" blood pressure. My belly is measuring large at about 18 cm which doesn't mean much this early in my pregnancy yet and especially since this is my fifth baby. I feel huge but people usually tell me I hardly have a belly... maybe they are just being nice. Here is a picture of it anyway....
Sorry for the messy bathroom!


It has been a month now since we broke the news to everyone about yet another baby and it is interesting, more than anything to hear people responses. We of course get the, no harm meant comments such as "wow you guys are busy" or "holy cow, another one" or "I am not sure how you guys do it, I have a hard time keeping up with my 2/3" which is kind of what we got with Brody. But what really amazes us is the people that are just down right rude or mean about it. For some reason in our society it is perfectly okay to have 2, many times even 3 children, without a word of criticism or "concern" being mentioned but suddenly once you break that 3 children thresh hold manners seem to not apply any longer. Suddenly it is okay to voice to people your opinion of their large family. I truly do not understand this mentality, especially after this beautiful little life has been created. What exactly do people expect you to do with this unsolicited advice? Are we suppose to say "oh my gosh you are right, we just never thought of that before, let's give this one away" or do they delight or feel justified somehow in making you feel that this baby is any less special, beautiful or perfect that your first three.

My sister-in-law Jen I think summed it up best with their four boys... most of the people that meet them think they are crazy for having four children in the first place but will then still ask if they are "going to try for that girl" and when she says no will ask why not. But of course these same people would probably think they were crazy for having more if she said yes! It is like she just can't win in their eyes but in reality it just shouldn't and truly doesn't matter how many children one has or doesn't have that is their family, ALL of them and it is perfect exactly the way it is!

My father in law is baby #5 in his family. He did not grow up "wealthy" but nothing he has ever said or even implied makes think he felt he had a "poor" life. And I am sure he has never once regretted being born or even that his parents regretted having him! I know I am grateful he was born, because of his life, I have my husband and ALL of my children that I can not imagine life without. My parents also come from large families, although both of them being the oldest rather than the youngest I am sure they don't care quite as much who came after them, they were already "safe" (I say this tongue and cheek of course). Although I am sure neither one of them or their parents could imagine life without their baby sisters and I am sure their sisters are glad their parents had just ONE more. Even when my father's sister was born to his 40+ year old mother and he himself was 18 it was very clear my whole life that Aunt Shelly was NOT a mistake. As Dave loves to say "there are no mistakes, just happy accidents."

The responses to baby #5 have not all been like this though. I have actually been touched very deeply by the ones that have extended nothing but shear joy and happiness to our blessing and in such a loving way as well. All of David's father's family when they saw us last month at the wedding were thrilled for us and gave us warm congratulations. I have received emails from friends and family members on both mine and Dave's sides of the family expressing their congratulations. The ones that really made me tear up were the ones like Dave's cousin that took the time to hand write us with words of love and send it in the mail. And Kain's best friend at school told his mother and she sent me a card in the mail right away. And of course my dear friends that call and email me often asking for pictures and updates (you know who you are!). As well as the many phone conversations with my cousin before anyone else knew!

It is such an incredible journey to experience creating life, giving birth and becoming a mother and it is so nice when that process is acknowledged each and every time it happens to you. Because although the dynamics of it changes each time the end result is exactly the same each time... it a new life that is being welcomed into the world and everyone should start that surrounded by love!

Thank you to those that choose to support us with your love during this time in our lives!

No comments: