So after catching up on my friend's blogs today I noticed a gardening theme so I thought I would jump on board as well. Here are some pictures of our garden which Dave expanded this year from last year (although still not as much as I would have liked).
But I am sure that is because the most I do with our garden is eat from it. It amazes us each year that it does so well with as little as we actually do for it... kind of like our kids reading. My husband is the one that comes from the long line of gardeners, lucky for me! So each year his Dad drops off a truck load of dirt in our driveway, I picked up seeds and plants this year, Dave did all the digging and hauling, fencing and planting while I literally sat with the babe in my arms and watched him, although I like to think I contributed with my stimulating conversation. Dave even sat with me for a spell and let the boys try to haul a load of dirt but after cleaning up two loads off of our patio that didn't last long. Now after reading about others struggles I feel kind of guilty because we just sat back and really did nothing else. We have been having salads daily since we have more lettuce than we can eat right now, I have made pesto and dressings with our herbs and even fried up some broccoli with coconut oil... yum! And everything else seems to be coming along nicely despite all the weeds we have in there. But my father-in-law did tell us the dirt makes all the difference and I am thinking he is right.
Because as you can see here, our rose garden has not had quite the same luck with all the clay we have in our soil. As you can see you can hardly even tell what the roses are amongst all of the weeds coming up around them. The fermented placenta planted in there this spring must not keep weeds away. But we did empty the birthing pool into our garden in the back yard so it can't be all bad.
I was very happy to see the lily bulbs I planted last fall came up very nicely BUT nothing else I planted there did which is why they look so sparse. So our green thumbs seem to be very hit or miss around here and I guess we are lucky that one of the hits was our edibles!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment