What
Happens to Your Body Within an Hour of Drinking a Coke
Do you want
to be
healthy?
Drinking soda is bad for your health in so many ways;
science can’t even
state all the consequences.
Here’s what
happens in your body when you assault it with a Coke:
Within the first 10
minutes, 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system.
This is 100 percent of your
recommended daily intake, and the only reason you
don’t vomit as a result of
the overwhelming sweetness is because phosphoric acid
cuts the
flavor.
Within 20 minutes, your blood sugar spikes, and your liver
responds to
the resulting insulin burst by turning massive amounts of sugar
into fat.
Within 40 minutes, caffeine absorption is complete; your pupils
dilate,
your blood pressure rises, and your livers dumps more sugar into
your
bloodstream.
Around 45 minutes, your body increases dopamine
production, which
stimulates the pleasure centers of your brain – a
physically identical response
to that of heroin, by the way.
After 60
minutes, you’ll start to have a sugar crash.
I found this to be very interesting since soda is such a largely consumed thing in the US. Granted many of "know" that soda is not good for us but I wonder how many know just how bad it is?
I think Dave and I struggle the most with improving our eating habits. The funny thing is, is that I think most people we know probably believe us to be healthy eaters. We most often have raw milk in our home. We make many meals from scratch. We try to buy organic when we can. We rarely if ever have juice in our house. I have even convinced Dave to switch to wheat bread, although it is still store bought since my bread baking period did not go so well. I plan to try it again some day, hopefully soon but I have lost the heart for the time being.
Although even though we have cut back on our soda intake we still indulge in many guilty pleasures as that, along with many others. The thing about eating better is there is so much info out there on it, I mean sure that can be said about many things but especially when it comes to "healthy" foods. How many times has one read one thing only to hear another about the same food?
I do not believe Dave and I struggle with aspect of eating better though as much as I do with becoming resentful of my new findings. I will read something such as what is above and although I can see the truth in it and want to change my patterns I will find myself watching closely what the mass of the US population puts in their grocery carts while I make careful choices about each and everything I buy and it brings forth a deep resentment within me. I wonder why I can't feel healthy and be content to turn the other cheek to ignorance. But I know I can't. It is not for me, it simply is not who I am. I want to make good choices about my health in all areas of my life, I love the education and knowledge of it all even if I choose not to use it.
So instead I have found one of my life lessons must be to take in all the knowledge that I can and like with anything pick my battles from there. I need to give myself permission to let myself "slip" when I feel the need and not be so hard on myself if I am in the mood for a coke (or in my case more often a Dr. Pepper) but still be aware of what is best for us most often. Like anything in life it is all about moderation, right?




2 comments:
Yeah, I'm the same way, Bethany. Jef gives me a hard time about it too. I buy organic everything if possible...drink green powder for breakfast and lunch...don't like to eat meat, cloth diaper and all the rest that you already know about...and yet... I drink TONS TONS TONS of Dr. Pepper. ha. And I felt bad about it. Because he was right.
Then when in the hospital having Autumn I discovered Dr. Wham, which I hear is made by Pepsi and tastes BETTER than Dr. P to me. And at Walmart...it's 78 cents per 2 lt.
And then I didn't feel so bad about my vice.
KWIM?
Your post reminded me that I had been meaning to finish watching this;
http://www.thefutureoffood.com/
It's pretty mind blowing, and scary. It's hard to get your hands on to rent, but you can see it here;
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3323612535345191089&q=future+of+food&total=1454&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1
Post a Comment