So after our long day of hiking over the river and through the woods to cut down our tree, decorate the inside and outside of our house, we gathered around our warm fire as a family, watched a Christmas special with the kids and then sang Christmas songs. The singing was a first for our family but I suppose we finally have enough voices with just our family alone to not notice those horribly out of tune. It was the perfect end to the perfect day and now we are set to enjoy the rest of the season and all that it brings us this year. We hope we leave our children with the fond Christmas memories David and I have as children. Some we can continue to share with how we remember them for the most part, such as Christmases with my parent's families and many we have started a new, such as Christmases with just our parents, the now Grandparents, but both are a part of OUR Christmas for OUR family, making OUR traditions.
Monday, December 3, 2007
What a Tree Can Do!
Aubriel helped Dad put the Angel on this year. We have both an Angel and a Star and we switch back and forth between them, Aubriel said she wanted the Fairy on top of the tree this year. So the star went on the fake tree we put up in our bedroom.
Here are the kids in front of the newly decorated tree and all of our stockings. Now you may notice that one of our stockings does not face the same direction as the rest.... that one would be mine. The other one that does not look like it "belongs" would be David's. I have rules about stockings and one of them being you can not get a new one, the stocking you have as a baby you always have. Mine was made for me by my Aunt and growing up my brother had a knit one that could hang either way so for several years we never noticed that mine went the "wrong" way. David keeps telling me to just get a new one but of course when I suggest that he permanently hangs up his beloved stocking his Great-Grandmother made for him he won't think twice about it... so mine will remain exactly where it is. Since David's is also knit I have tried hanging it the other way so that it looks like there is some balance to our fire place mantel but he also hangs his back the other way so his matches the kids.
Now, you will probably also notice that 3 of the 4 kids stocking match perfectly, this is just how neurotic I am about things matching. When we had Kain and I went to buy his stocking I looked high and low for not only the right one for our new little babe's first Christmas but for two other matching ones and right then I bought all 3. See at that time we were planning on having 3 kids and I wanted all of their stocking to match without ever having to get a "new" one. However as we all know plans change and that has come to include stockings as well. The stocking that Aubriel had for her first three Christmases became Brody's when he was born so that all the boys would match and she got a new shinny gold one. I have no idea what I am going to do now for the new baby!
I think we all have our own Christmas memories from childhood that does not make Christmas the same without them. Over the years both mine and David's mothers have given us things to decorate with that we remember fondly as making our Christmas our Christmas. For me one of those things was always my stocking, not for the reason that most probably have memories of their stocking though. See in our house Santa never came (not by any trying on my Mother's part), yes, I was the little kid no body ever wanted their children to talk to at Christmas time. I was all about spreading the "truth" about Santa in an attempt to make myself feel better, unfortunately making my cousins feel worse, as I searched for a reason our house was the only one that seemed to be over looked every year. We would travel up to my Grandma's every Christmas Eve and each morning there at her house Santa would have stockings for both my brother and I as well as my cousins but it wasn't my stocking at home, and my cousin's were always filled at their homes as well. But yet we would still hang our stocking up year after year, as if some year after hanging it for long enough Santa would suddenly find our house and leave us something in it, anything but every year mine and my brother's stocking hung by the fire place and every year they remained empty. Even after I had kids their stockings seemed to be filled every year but mine still remained empty, there were even years David's would be filled with something, sure one year it was socks with a post it from his mom on it, that was strange, but always something. Then it happened! After 30 years of my stocking being hung above fire places in many different homes I finally awoke to something placed inside of mine. 30 years of my stocking never holding anything and now suddenly it was full, full of candy, of an ornament that even surprised David that morning and a prayer necklace. Amazing how in one moment two prayers could be answered. I have always wanted one, you write your prayer on something and place it inside to held close to your heart. Ironically enough my prayer that was held in my heart every Christmas was answered with something for prayers... their was a gift for me in MY stocking.
So needless to say the stockings have always been a huge part of Christmas for me and I longed to have a house with a fireplace to hang them by. Our fireplace is kind of the heart of our home anyway but even more so at Christmas time. We have a fire almost every night during December, our tree sits right next to it, we have the traditional family picture that hangs above it, my favorite Advent Calender sit in the center of the mantel (you guessed it, it is a Santa that works his way down the chimney with each passing day) and all of our stockings hang from our fireplace!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment