Sunday, October 28, 2007

End of a long weekend...

On Wed. after noon at 3 pm the boys were done with school until Monday! Which gave us plenty of time to get ready for Halloween, or at least it should have... no I think we are ready but it was an exhausting, very fun, action packed 4 day weekend.

Thursday was Dave's day off which is always fun for the boys since he works almost every weekend when they have their "days off." So we spent most of the day cleaning and playing and then carved pumpkins while Dave made dinner. After we ate we decided since the kids didn't have school the next day and we didn't get a chance to run out during the day that we would all go to Wal-mart at 8 o'clock at night. Strange I know but I was actually quite excited about it, when we just had the two older boys before they started school we use to be night owls and going out shopping at 8 pm was never a big deal but of course having kids in school changes all that so for whatever reason I was tickled to be out at that hour with my family. Anyway of course one of the reasons we went there was to get candles for the pumpkins which I completely forgot... I guess that is what happens when an always tired, pregnant woman tries to shop after her bedtime.

Friday Gage had a play date at his friend Sam's house, so I invited Kain's friend Adam over to keep him busy. Kain just made me laugh since when Adam showed up he said "Gage is at his friend's house so we don't have to worry about him bothering us" I don't think it was much more than a few hours later Kain was asking when Gage was coming home because they wanted to play with him. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder. They make me crazy most of the time when it seems they can't do anything together without picking on one another but it makes me so happy at moments like this when I realize just how close they truly are!

I was able to get candles for their pumpkins on Friday since Dave was home sick with a headache I did manage to get away with no kids and run to the store for an hour. These moments honestly feel like a dream some days. I will leisurely stroll through Target looking at anything just enjoying being out by myself. I is like when your parents start letting you stay home alone or the feeling you had when you first moved out on your own and had your very own place or some days I swear my trips to Target or the Grocery store by myself are like most women's day at the spa... how pampered I feel.
After the day at the spa, Sat. morning came all too quickly and it was not an easy task for any of us to pull ourselves out of bed that day... well except for Kain who was bouncing off the walls ready for his last football game. So as I rolled out of bed WAY later than I should with it being WAY darker out than it should, I grabbed the warmest socks and sweater I could find and proceeded to chase the little ones around to get them dressed. When I finally ran into Kain that morning I advised him he may want to dress warmed than the shorts and a t-shirt he was in but he refused and honestly I have bigger battles to fight each morning with four kids than to worry about stupidity. I figure there are some things kids should just learn on their own and dressing for the weather is one of those I choose to let them learn for themselves. You see if I completely exhaust myself arguing with them about what to wear and they finally do they really understand the why behind what happened... but if I let them freeze their butt of for an hour perhaps next time they will think twice when I say they should dress warmer.

So we all run out the door at five after nine (yes the game starts at nine) but lucky for us it is just right down the street. Soon after we get there it starts to rain, not hard but rain in 47 degree, windy weather none the less. So after about 15 minutes of Brody, Aubriel, Gage and I huddled together with blankets wrapped around us to stay warm I decide to bring the kids to the truck. Now the truck is parked on the street and the game is in the park which you have to walk down this little path in between a couple of houses to get to. So I lock them in and put the 6 year old in charge and then proceed to warm myself by running back and forth between the game and the truck crossing my fingers that no one in one of these houses will call the cops on me for locking my children in my truck. I can't give you a complete play by play of the game since I did not see much of it but I did see Kain score the first touchdown, I saw him pass an incomplete pass, I did find a fleece in the back of our truck for him to wear after he decided he was indeed cold, imagine that. Then lucky for him and his half frost bitten fingers someone came around handing out some company brand gloves for free to all the kids! I did at one point see Kain almost intercept the ball but instead the other did in fact catch it and then trampled my kid so he was laying there in the cold wet grass for a while... that is until his friend helped him up and then threw his arm around him in a "buddy" sort of way and they got ready for the next play. I have heard lots of mothers say they don't like their kids playing football because it is too rough of a sport and oh my gosh is it ever but FAR more for us as mothers than the kids playing it! I guess they ended up tying 21-21. Now this is when I truly appreciate how very well behaved my children are (of course they are not always but for the most part they are) I know this when I can leave my 6, 4 and 2 year old in my truck which I later realize had a red gatorade in it, scissors in the glove box and markers in the middle console and they simply played gameboys and drew pictures with paper and pencils. I talk to a lot of moms that do not like their kids playing video games and I am the first to admit that mine could play a LOT less but I swear these gameboys are the best thing we ever bought. Sure one can argue that kids can have just as much fun with paper and empty toilet paper rolls which have been around forever but lets be honest kids on the prairie did not have to spend hours sitting at their sibling games and activities. I also think that kids don't have to be in as much stuff as they are either but then everyone says if you keep them busy it keeps them out of trouble. So maybe years ago when there was no gameboys and less activities there was just less trouble too... or maybe it was just the trouble they feared from their parents was worse than any other. Okay enough analyzing this at any rate.

I left the game with my three warm children and my one frozen one and rushed home to get them in their Halloween costumes to go to De Pere and trick or treat at the downtown businesses where my mom was working that day. Kain did not argue about dressing warmer and Gage even asked to bring a jacket... how refreshing. Lucky for us though the sun came out and the wind died down which made for a perfect afternoon.

Today everyone woke up with either a cough, runny nose, breathing problems in Gage case and/or a headache unfortunately. So we took it easy this afternoon and tried to get some stuff done around the house. We didn't even make church this morning but still had to make the drive to pick up our milk from my friend. My mom made her weekly visit and helped me a ton as usual which is always appreciated. Now here it is 11 pm and I am more than ready for bed.

Tomorrow night is the school dance and then trick or treating again on Wed. so I will have more pictures to share!

No comments: