Thursday, February 3, 2011

Whirl Wind Week...

I'm not even quiet sure where to start. I'm exhausted and should just go right to bed but honestly I have far too many emotions running through me and I fear I may just sob into my pillow before reaching any restful state. Which might just be what I need anyway. It is funny to me how powerful the release of emotions can be after the fact rather than when you are knee high in something.

I really need to start about a week ago I suppose. I had just reached my 31st week of pregnancy and the home stretch was being thoroughly embraced. Aubriel had a gymnastics meet in WI Dells and we had planned a mini vacation while we were there to beat the cabin fever that sets in by Feb in WI. It seemed like forever since Dave had had any real time off and the kids had been stir crazy with the extremely low temps of the season.

But soon after tucking Brody into bed last Friday night he woke us with the stomach flu. Yep, he had puked all over his bed. So since Dave had to be up early for work on Sat. I opted to sleep on the couch with him. And like any flu we awoke every few hours for a round of bucket vomiting. By mid afternoon on Sat. he seemed good as new. I however was not. I wasn't entirely sure if it was due to being pregnant and having very little sleep and food, not to mention being surrounded by vomit for the last 24 hours or if I was going to suffer the same fate as Brody. I continued to pack for our trip in between taking rests on the couch when the nausea got to be too much for me. For a while in the evening I actually felt like things were looking up. Then at 10pm horrible cramps hit and I wasn't sure I would even be able to make Aubriel's gym meet the next day. In an hour I threw up and of course felt better but wasn't holding my breath that it would stick. Luckily come morning I was feeling better even though I wasn't even close to 100%.

My mom and I headed down to the meet with Aubriel and a friend that kindly said she would drive us. We were actually suppose to be the ones giving her a ride but muphry's law decided that my mom would have car problems the night before we were suppose to leave. So after spending the morning formulating a new plan we were finally ready to leave. I am happy to report my health continued to improve throughout the day and Aubriel and her team had a great first meet of the season. I don't think I ever get tired of watching my children doing what they love but especially her with her incredible strength and talent. Her team took 2nd place for their gym at their level! She took 9th on floor, 7th on vault, 4th on both beam and bars and 4th for her all around! I was beyond proud, not just due to her scores but how very hard I watched her all week to improve on her skills she was struggling with. She really earned her scores and her coaches are so amazing with her. I have pictures but haven't even had time to download and look at them.... maybe some day soon I will post some.

After the meet Dave and the boys had already made it down and checked into the hotel so we called them to come pick us up. Everyone seemed like they were feeling well, aside from being worn out and tired, so we headed down to the water park. The next morning Brody started out the day by throwing up again but seemed fine after. So we decided to let him go back to the water park. Dave and I were of course worried about being THAT parent with the child that shuts down the pool with their puke but we hated to tell him he couldn't go when he wanted to so bad and really seemed fine. Well, he did end up throwing up about an hour or so after we got down there but at least it wasn't in the water. We still got the heard of people gathering around us though as if they had never seen a child vomiting before, even though most of the people had children in tow. The staff was very helpful and friendly at least... kind of like they have seen this before. Imagine that?

Needless to say my mom and I headed back to the room with Brody and Ozzye while Dave stayed with the older kids. We didn't expect much when we got back but Brody was begging for food... so we fed him and once again he seemed fine. The rest came back for lunch and we took the kids to the indoor playground for a bit. After we got back to the room we decided to go swimming again... and decided to let Brody go again. I know, I know, one would think we would have been scarred but honestly after having so many kids it takes much more than a little puke to keep us down. And Brody did great this time. We went back to the room after for dinner and got all the kids tucked in with a movie. Life seemed good and the flu bug seemed like it had gone to bed as well. The next day was suppose to hold check out and a bit more swimming before we hit the road... oh, after we unburied out truck since it snowed not just in WI but everywhere all day from the sounds of it.

Instead we all woke up to Dave doubled over in bed with the flu. Even though I was more than willing to drive us all home Dave didn't even think he could ride with how he was feeling. So after much deliberation we decided the best options (especially given the snow everybody at home was dealing with) would be to stay one more night. The kids were thrilled since all of them felt great. So while Dave spent the day in bed, my mom, the kids and I spent the day at the waterpark in between coming back for meals and a movie mid day.

Wed. morning came and Dave seemed to be on the mend just as I had been after about 24 hours. Brody seemed great and luckily none of the others fell ill while we were there. So we headed home right after check out as not to tempt fate by sticking around any longer than we had to. While the stomach flu is not our idea of a fun vacation for whatever reason the last few years it seems to have become a bit of a tradition in at least our winter vacations. So we have come to take the bitter with the sweet and while there were lots of moments that just really sucked I suppose it could have been worse.

Then we got home. And it got worse. This morning started like any other. Dave went to work. The kids woke up first and had breakfast. Ozzye and I woke soon after. I started on laundry and cleaning. Brody asked me for a banana and I obliged. About half way through it he started complaining of stomach pains. My first thought was the flu had not worked his way through his system. Both Dave and I had horrible stomach cramps with ours and he never seemed that bothered so I figured they were hitting him now. I made up a bed for him on the couch and didn't think much of it. After a little bit of him crying I tried to locate his exact pain since he kept pointing to his belly button and I feared it may be his appendix. After a little bit of poking around he pulled down his pants and showed me a HUGE lump in his groin that he said was painful. I could of course tell right away by looking at it, it was no where close to anything normal. My mind raced as to what it could be and what other options I might have besides the ER and surgery. I knew by looking at it if I brought him in surgery would most likely be inevitable. Which I am totally okay with if it is truly needed, I just like to make sure it's truly needed before I subject our children to it. I had flash backs of when we brought Gage in last year for what we thought was his appendix and they only treated him for asthma and sent us on our way... which didn't even help him and I had to take him into our chiropractor to have his stomach adjusted. I just wanted to be SURE this time. I wanted to KNOW. But I guess I kind of did just by looking at him.

I first called our wonderful, natural Family Dr. She hit the nail on the head with a hernia. She said it was either that or testicular torsion since it was so close to that region I honestly wasn't sure what parts of his body were being effected. Either way her recommendation was the ER. And while I knew that would probably be the end result I just wanted to be sure so I called to chiropractors just to be sure they didn't have any non surgery ideas first. The first I couldn't reach, the second agreed with our Dr. So my mom drove us to the hospital where they started prepping him for hernia surgery only an hour after we got there. Dave arrived right after they wheeled him in for surgery. My mom left to be with the other kids back at home and I lost it. I knew everything was routine and would go off without a hitch but the emotions flooded me. There's just something about it being YOUR baby. Something about the thought of them cutting YOUR baby open. Even when you know it will bring them relief and healing.

And sure enough not only did he surprise the staff with the size of his hernia for the size of his little five year old body but he kept them guessing with his extra speedy recovery. He had just one thing on his mind after - FOOD! And he ate, and ate, and ate. Thank goodness he is such a trooper because you would never know it looking at the mess I am and I am quiet sure it would only make it worse on me if he was anything but. I suppose now being 32 weeks pregnant isn't helping me any in the crazy emotions department. I am chomping at the bit to just bring my little guy home where he belongs but of course they wanted to keep him over night. Dave decided to stay with him being that I struggle to get comfortable anywhere but our own bed in my condition. Although I hate to be without either one of them for even one night. Tomorrow morning I should be able to go pick them up and then hopefully my last 8 weeks of pregnancy will remain very uneventful.... and beyond as well would be just fine too.

It does take something like this I think to realize just how deep the imprint these little humans have on our souls. There is so much lost in the mundane day to day routines. We know we love them, we tell them daily, maybe even more if they are being good but there is nothing like having your heart ripped out by their pain, or fear to remind us just what that love actually means.

No comments: