Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spoke Too Soon... Gone Too Soon...

Early last week I got a text from my friend that her father had passed after slipping back into his coma for another week. And while it was not the same shock of the news of his stroke the week before it hit me like a ton of bricks. I suppose after his day of recovery talking with his children and grandchildren we all had hoped he was in the clear and on the road to recovery. But that was a wonderful moment that his children never got before they had to say good-bye to their mother so I am sure it is time they will come to cherish.

I have to admit selfishly I may have morned more for myself than my friend. She has not lived here for quite some time and after the death of her mother the pain of coming back was much more of a challenge than she had anticipated so her face has not been seen around here much. I feared that now with her father gone too she might not have any reason to return and being that she is like a sister to me the mere thought of it was more than I could handle on top of everything else this week brought with it. However to my surprise she thinks it might give her more of a reason to return. As unfortunate of an event as this was it brought her much healing that has been almost 7 years in the making. Saying good-bye to her Dad has allowed her and her family to finally let go of their Mom as well.

I would have to say the service today seemed to be just as much a tribute to her Mother's memory as her Father's. Same event, same church, same family and friends, same magnificent loss of a wonderful person all over again. These two people touch every one's life they came into and it was no different for me. They were friends, mentors, and the parents of one of the most important person in my life. They shared an amazing life together and an even deeper love so I suppose we can maybe all take comfort in the fact that both of them are exactly where they want to be ~ with each other once again... The Church after the service...

No comments: