Friday, April 9, 2010

One of Those weeks...

I certainly can't complain that it has been a bad week by any means there has been far too many positive things come out of it for that label, such has my baby not getting hit by a car, my brother's new job, and my friend's father not dying. But it has been one of those weeks when every slap to the face makes you wonder what in the world could possible happen next. Luckily most of the downs have been followed rather quickly by enormous blessings leaving me with a new perspective and gratitude for all I have in my life.

The week started out with my brother leaving after a two week stay interviewing for a job and all his hard work finally paying off. He was released from his job late last year and left in limbo as him and his family decided what the next step would bring. After months of pondering and sorting through things they will be moving back here which has of course left them with mixed emotions and us with excitement for ourselves and sympathy for them and all (both good and bad) which lies ahead of them now.

During the middle of the week I got a glimpse into why people probably think I am completely insane for having as many children as I do. I know that probably seems obvious to most but honestly to me I do have a hard time understanding what the "big deal" is. Sure I have more to do, look after, take care of but that also includes more of all the precious moments one benefits from with having a child. But alas a few days ago after after our photography group met, the children had asked more than once if we could "PLEASE, leave NOW?" to which I actually decided to follow through with my yes reply. As I started towards the door I noticed Brody and Gage struggling with the door. Gage was trying to hold it closed while Brody was opening it, so of course during their power struggle Ozzye managed to slip out and start running towards the parking lot just as a truck came blowing through (not very slow I might add). So naturally I started yelling to Gage to "grab him!" which very quickly escalated to a terrified scream just as Gage tripped over Brody leaving him in tears, to snatch the baby just steps from the curb. As I reached the door to pick up Brody now knowing that my baby was indeed not flattened I heard nothing as I turned to gaze over my shoulder EVERYONE in the cafe was staring at me blankly. I announced that he was fine and hauled ass to get all my kids out the door so I could leave. Once everyone was accounted for and buckled in their seats it set in how completely crazy we must have looked! But I am learning to shrug this off like the rest of the thoughts, comments, "kind" suggestions because you know what: Mom's with only two kids have their crazy days too, right?

I awoke the next morning to a call from my best friend that her father was in the hospital dying and they were taking him off of life support later that day. Of course my heart sank at the news. It would have for anyone of my my friends that was about to lose a parent and lose one so young as well but the thing with her is that she lost her mom to the very same thing only 6 years ago. Not only was I over come with grief for her but anger as well. How can this happen... AGAIN? How much can one person take? Just earlier this year she had to bury her Grandmother, the Mother that had out lived her own daughter. My friend just had her first baby last August and she is surrounded by heartache and loss. That is not what we expect to be doing when we are starting our own families.

I waited at her father's house last night with many friends and family. We expected them to all walk through the door somber as they returned from releasing his body but instead they returned with hope and confusion. For days there had been no response and the staff was sure the brain damage was too sever for any sort of recovery. But soon after they took out his breathing tube he began to respond. He open his eyes, he moved his head. They left the hospital hoping for the best but trying to get their hopes up too much at the same time. In the morning they would re-evaluate with some more tests and see what happened. I got a call from her later today saying he was responding even more... talking... moving... remembering... talking to his grandbaby. He has a long road of therapy ahead of him but it is truly amazing what he went through this week.

It is certainly the moments like this that leaves you humble... leaves you wondering... leaves you grateful. I have ended this week with an unusual email out of the blue I didn't expect and it certainly makes me wonder about the timing of many of these events. Perhaps response to many of these things would have been different if perspectives had never been jarred... All in all life is good, it has shown me what could have been and what is and it leaves me feeling blessed for what all of us have rather than worried about what we might not and I have to think that is a huge gift!

No comments: