...if one asks for patience they will not be given patience but the opportunity to be patient. I was remind of this many times on our vacation and also in a quiet literal sense one afternoon while we watched a movie. There were times on our trip Dave and I feared it may be our worst vacation yet but now that we are back home we only have fond memories of it.
I think for me, aside from spending time with my children and husband, my favorite part must have been reconnecting with my cousins. Being sisterless myself my mom's sister's daughters were the closest I had to an actual sister. The one we went to visit in GA is only a few years younger than me and we would spend summers together every year. Since Amanda moved away we have tried to stay close but it is a bit harder being several states away. She gave birth to her first child the same month I had Brody and it is always great to watch Jillian and Brody together.
My other cousin, Amber, is finishing up school at Michigan State and she met us out there, stayed with us and we brought her back home to Michigan. I have to say spending time with her was especially a joy for me. With spending summers up north every year I practically raised her until she was 5. I then of course left for school, got married and had children of my own so spending so much time with her was not only meaningful in a way a parent might rekindle a long lost relationship with a child but to now see her and relate to her as the amazing adult she has become was truly awesome. It is always nice to discover one actually enjoys their family rather than simply love them because they are family!
We left late Monday night after Dave finished with work at 8pm. We love driving through the night in hopes that the children feel like the drive isn't so bad because of sleeping through most of it. The trip went great with the children being very well behaved. We stopped for breakfast somewhere in TN (I think) and then continued on. This was my first opportunity to get something I have been asking for... a more environmentally conscious husband. Soon after getting into NC we had the usual potty break requests from many, the baby was hungry and Kain wasn't feeling the best. So after not seeing any wayside signs for a quite a while we get off on an exit that claims there is a recreation area near by. So we drive through some winding roads following signs only to discover we are somewhere behind it. Not long after realizing this Kain starts throwing up. Luckily he had a zip lock bag from his snack earlier that he was puking in. We pull off on the side of the road and see an information sign a few feet ahead of us otherwise surrounded by forest. So the boys jump out to pee and Dave takes the baggie up to the information board thinking there would be a garbage there. I get everyone back in the truck and get Kain cleaned up and we head back the way we came to find a bathroom for Aubriel and I to use. So I asked Dave if he found a garbage and he replies no. Scared to even ask what he did with the puke baggie he tells me he left it in the empty brochure holder since he didn't want to throw it in the woods! I am thinking the next person to stop there will be adding a garbage can in that area. After getting back on the highway we of course pass a wayside 2 miles down the road! Luckily we arrived in SC without any more vomiting.
We got to our "beach side" resort around 8 pm and got checked in. We did get an awesome deal on it so we probably can't complain but we honestly didn't know that places like this even existed on Hilton Head Island. As we got up to the fourth floor we had to cross a bridge the kids later referred to as "the death trap" since it was under construction and consisted of plywood and had zip ties holding part of the railing together. The best part is our room was right there at the corner of it so we got to hear everyone coming and going. The door looked like someone had tried to kick it in at some point but at least was locked. The windows in the kitchen and living room didn't open since they faced the inside walkway of the resort... lovely views. But the inside was nice even though it had tile floors throughout (fun with an unstable baby) and the washer and dryer it said it had was down the hall and cost $1.50 per load. But we figured we are on the beach so who is going to be in the room anyway, right? Which is also why we figured Dave, the baby and I could all make due sharing a queen size bed... after all I did request to be "closer" to my family and husband during vacation!
I think it was over cast just about every day we were there but it didn't matter since we couldn't wait to go swimming...
Baby's first time at the beach...+2009+292.JPG)
+2009+293.JPG)
+2009+306.JPG)
+2009+308.JPG)
+2009+305.JPG)
+2009+310.JPG)
+2009+332.JPG)
+2009+326.JPG)
"Mommy, something HORRIBLE is happening, Ozzye is getting dirty!"+2009+297.JPG)
She still isn't happy we didn't clean him...
Sleeping on the beach....
Aubriel's mermaid she made with Amber...+2009+353.JPG)
+2009+366.JPG)
+2009+370.JPG)
+2009+373.JPG)
After spending more time than we thought we would at the beach given the weather we decided to venture out and see what else Hilton Head Island had to offer. We started with mini golf which always seems like a good idea when we start out but by the end when half the kids are crying we wonder why we decided to do it in the first place. Of course the jumps of joy when we first start out are so worth it so I am sure we will not learn our lesson after this trip either...+2009+381.JPG)
+2009+379.JPG)
+2009+377.JPG)
+2009+417.JPG)
+2009+419.JPG)
Once we finished up with our golf outing and dried all of the tears that had been shed we drove around until we found something of interest... That ended up being a wildlife preserve inbetween the island and mainland. It said you could see all kinds of wildlife including alligators and dolphins. Upon pulling in the parking lot Brody asked us what we were doing and we told him we were going to find him an alligator to wrestle... his response, a VERY enthusiastic "sweet!"
After walking a ways we discovered that by the time we got to the dolphin spotting area the sun would have long since set and the children would be whinning that they could not take another step. So just as we decided to turn back we passed a couple that said they spotted an alligator just a little ways up so we decided we would check him out before calling it quits...
We did end up finding him but he was hard to see and luckily for us much to far away for Brody to wrestle...+2009+434.JPG)
Appearently we didn't have to walk any more for the whinning to set in...+2009+440.JPG)
Sat. we were suppose to go back into Savannah and have a cook out at my cousin's. However when we first planned this vacation our lives were crazy and we wanted to go on vacation so we could sit and do nothing... so we were certainly given the opportunity to do just that when during the night and early am hours half of us came down with the stomach flu starting with Dave, then Brody and finally Amber. I am quite grateful that the other kids and I did not show any signs of it although I think the baby may have kicked it off and it did make us wonder if purhaps Kain was not car sick at all.
I ran out in the afternoon to pick up some groceries and it was of course sunny and warm. Later that day we decided taking a walk and getting some fresh air might be good for those of us that were still in good health and extremely restless, so leaving Brody asleep with Amber we took Dave with us since he was feeling better and naturally the sun that was out earlier had gone away and storm clouds were moving in but it didn't stop us anyway. After all I had also asked for an opportunity to get some cool pictures too...+2009+478.JPG)
+2009+465.JPG)
+2009+470.JPG)
These are the actual beach front condos we would have LOVED to have been in...+2009+481.JPG)
+2009+487.JPG)
Ozzye stuck under the table...
The next morning was suppose to be our leaving day and we of course had nothing but blue skies and sun shine! So we packed up and went down to the beach one last time....
The boys looking for turtles in the pond outside while we pack up the truck...
We tried to get a family picture but since the weather was beautiful there was actually more people than just us on the beach, it was high noon by the time we got down there, the sun was in our eyes, the kids couldn't wait to go in the water, the baby was ready for a nap and Brody had already gotten sand in his eyes! So this is the picture we got but Amber did a beautiful job taking it for us...
But some of the other shots I got that day more than made up for the family picture... most of them were of Brody but I simply love these pictures...+2009+536.JPG)
He is great to photographer because he is so animated and uninhibited with everything he does, plus he LOVES the beach... Our joke the whole time watching him is that we named him Brodric rather than just Brody because we didn't want to label him as a beach bum and wanted him to have a name he could climb the corperate latter with but clearly it didn't really matter that much because we are sure the beach is already in his blood...
He was like watching an animal being released back into the wild and he has talked about returning to the beach every day since. I can't decide which I love more this one or the mud slinging shot...
Of course these are so sweet as well...+2009+553.JPG)
+2009+555.JPG)
+2009+538.JPG)
+2009+592.JPG)
Me with "my" oldest and youngest children...
Ozzye with his fairy god-mother...
After the beach we went back to Amanda's in Savannah and decided what we would do next. We felt like we missed a whole day being sick and we did have an extra day to play around with so we made the choice to spend another night and extend our trip. Once again we were not given a longer vacation but the opportunity to take advantage of Dave's extra day off.+2009+620.JPG)
That evening we took a ghost tour of Savannah which was fun. Savannah is the most haunted city in the US so it was interesting to hear all the stories about who, how and why they are haunted, Kain simply loves it! Brody fell asleep during it...
Amanda and Jillian...+2009+633.JPG)
+2009+630.JPG)
This is the house my cousin's and I swear we saw something in the top window that night...
Aubriel getting into charactor, we think she kind of looks like a ghost here...
Picture from the next morning saying our good-byes...
Jillian by now had gotten what most of the rest of us had so she was not into the whole picture taking scene, of course Brody is picking his nose as well...
Here is the actual "group picture" we ended up getting...
My cousin's and I...
Brody saying good-bye to his fairy god-mother...
After saying good bye to my cousin and her family we had just a few more stops to make in Savannah... first on the list Angel's which probably had more to do with us extending our trip than anything... they were closed on Sunday.
So we took our food back down to river street even though having Brody that close to water creeps us out...
Amber's recovery took a bit longer than the rest of us so she wasn't feel'in the BBQ... too bad for her since she ended up having to put her sub back together...
And then she had kids picking at hers since theirs wasn't quite what they wanted... I mean theirs were still in one piece...+2009+684.JPG)
+2009+690.JPG)
+2009+694.JPG)
+2009+693.JPG)
+2009+695.JPG)
We got up there and Brody asked if he could jump! How we brought him back home in one piece I have no idea... well I do, we had Amber with us!
Second stop on the list... the honey house for a honey latte...
They have this super cute hive for the kids to play in. I want Dave to build one for the kids in the worst way!
We then got back to the truck and the kids took some artistic shots while I nursed the baby... that ended up being one of Kain's shots...+2009+740.JPG)
+2009+738.JPG)
We dropped Amber off in Michigan on Tuesday morning and we continued up over the Mackinac Bridge to go home...
Seeing this after 70 degree weather was so sad...+2009+749.JPG)
+2009+756.JPG)
We stopped in to my Grandma's ice cream shop for ice cream before making the last two hours home...
Now that we are back home we have much fonder memories of it than we thought we would during parts of the trip. But once again it is all how you ask for it and how one looks at it. I have been blessed with an incrediabley funny husband that can ALWAYS make me laugh even when my baby almost knocks me out not once but twice by pulling over a horribley designed bed table with only three legs on it smashing an iron lamp into my head. So after the pain subsides and the numbness sets in we can laugh together like we do so often and I feel nothing but blessed to be given the opportunity I so desperately needed to find the joy in the strangest places because I have been given exactly what I requested!




No comments:
Post a Comment