So I was thinking while I was at the shower how they are truly wasted on the first time moms. I understand the concept of trying to help out the new parent by stocking them with everything they will need in the first few years but the biggest problem is not really knowing what one will need and the fact that commercialism has taken over this area, like so many others of modern day society. I find it funny how the older generation is amazed at all the baby gadgets we have these days and I do not think anyone can attend a baby shower without hearing one of them say "it is amazing our children survived without all of these things!" It makes me chuckle because in all reality our children survive without all of these things too... you just don't realize how many things are not needed until you have your first baby and never use them!
I like many was sucked in as well when I had my first and couldn't wait to run out to Babies R Us to register for all the fun, cute baby items that I would soon discover I would never need, use or even want. When are they going to start having baby showers for the experienced moms? There are so many truly fun and useful things that I have found in the last ten years of having children that I would love to have but of course don't have the money for. Plus why would anyone buy this...
When you already have this...
sitting in your kitchen. And while it won't grow with your child, it will never be a step stool they can help wash veggies at the sink with or a booster seat to get their chin above their plate rather than just above the table and when they are teenagers will never be able to house your plants in front of a window and still look beautiful, it will in fact get the job of a simply high chair done.
It took me 3 children before I discovered the joys of wearing my baby rather than fighting with my over sized stroller through the isles of the stores during Christmas season. The problem is with buying things for the first time mom is that you only know what you liked as a parent, if you have children already or what looks really cool if you don't and they have no idea what they are going to like as a parent and since most mainstream stores don't carry the super helpful items they have no idea where to even look for different ideas. That is until they have that first baby and they know exactly what they want and what they don't. Which is why as my "baby" gets ready to turn 10 years old I still have a pack n' play from his baby shower that looks brand new!
I have seen baby showers change shape from the for ladies only to the co-ed and to even to the more traditional blessing way where you celebrate the journey the mother is about to embark on but when are we going to see the experienced mom shower, the attachment parenting shower that supports breastfeeding, without the pacifiers, that encourages moms to wear their babies rather than push them and the ones that support a healthy bonding of peaceful rest within the mother's arms rather than in a cage? I might have to start a movement for this! Just some of my random thoughts from the day...
It was a beautiful shower I have to say though. My friend is due just a few weeks before her sister, both expecting girls. I have told her several times how I am so over joyed for her to be sharing this wonderful experience with her sister. I thought a few times I may have that with a few of my sister in law but never quite worked out that way. I did almost get that with my cousin that is like a sister but we live so far from one another. I have longed for that bond known only by a sister and this friend is as close as I have to that so I am over the moon for her and can't wait to meet her sweet baby girl!




No comments:
Post a Comment