Okay I probably shouldn't just say Dave, I am right beside him on this journey but he has come and will have farther to go than me. Not to say I haven't made huge improvements be any means though!
I suppose if we want to get technical we are somewhere in the middle of our journey and it really started about 1 1/2 years ago when Dave and I found a "life coach." Sure that is a fancy term for therapist... or not so fancy? Less intimidating. maybe? Oh, it really doesn't matter she is wonderful and helped bring Dave and I closer together than ever before!
It started after I sought out help with my postpartum depression following Brody's birth. After talking to me a while she discovered it would be most helpful for David to meet with us and of course when I asked him he wanted to be right there by my side through the whole thing holding my hand. I think what he didn't expect is that therapy for my problems soon became therapy for the both of us. It was hard for both of us to look at our wounds we had brought into our marriage with us but it was the best thing we could have ever done for our relationship. After about 6 months we were finally able to see one another as the hurt child we were acting out of, we learn how to communicate with one another more effectively in a way to express ourselves and get our needs met without continuing to hurt the other. It put us on each other's page, so to speak and we were than able to grow together rather than independantly like we had been. Which of course continues to be a daily process for us but feel much more confident on how to detoxify our emotions as things come up.
Which brings me to our more physical detox we are now in... About six months back I met someone I swear I had been praying for FOREVER, it seems, for my family. His first love and practice is chiropractic care, which our family had been recieving already (mostly the kids though with the cost) but he is also a naturalpath Dr. among many other things I couldn't even begin to go into. Anyway he has such a strong conviction for helping people that he does something I had never heard of before... family plans! Great for a family our size, basically he charges one flat monthly fee and adjusts us as many times as we want/need along with any other health issues that may come up. So for the last 3 months we have all been getting adjusted 3 times a week which has already showed GREAT improvement with all of our health so now we get to start on the detox.
First off Dave and I need to detox our livers... sounds simply enough, right? Well, Dave likes to argue that it is for me since I am pregnant right now I can only do a mild detox which consists of swallowing 1 tablespoon of apple-cider vinegar once a day which I can put in some juice or something if I like. Well, since Dave obviously isn't pregnant and much more unhealthy than I, he gets to take it up a step. He takes half a mouthful of apple-cider vinegar and has to swish it around like mouth wash until it starts to burn and then he can swallow. He can NOT dilute this with anything else, it must be taken straight. There have been VERY few times I have seen my husband cry. Although I would consider him to be a sensitive person he is by no means emotional. But three days ago when he had to take his first "shot" he looked like the 6 year old girl on the school playground that had just been picked on. He looked like he was on the verg of bursting into tears at just the thought of taking it. He has now done it a totaly of twice and last night was telling me he does not think he can continue. I guess it made his throat sore and scratchy all day and he "claims" he could hardly even drink water. Luckily our Dr. made a VERY stronge argument to him on why his immune system is so unhealthy and how he is planning on changing that so hopefully Dave can continue.
This site does a MUCH better job of explaining it than I would but you could also do a search as well. He basically explained to Dave that his body is working out of a TH2 response rather than a TH1 response and that his TH1 response has been weaked by not being breastfed and having taken so many drugs and anti-biotics for his whole life. So the plan is to detox his system for a month and then start him on pro-biotics to help build his TH1 response. I guess I just need my liver cleansed right now and for the sake of my adrenals I need to increase my vitamin C and decrease my stress... sounds easy enough I guess. Except for the fact we have been under a bit of stress as of late but oh well.
The kids don't need any detox, between their adjustments and us not vaccinating any longer (well really just Brody hasn't been at all) they are young enough their immune systems will naturally (if they haven't already) change over to a healthy response. Gage, our constantly sick kid, has made huge improvements healthwise in just the 4 months we have been going, which has been a BIG eye opener for David as he has watched Gage struggle with what he went through as a child and now has started to see it be corrected. Not just managed like his health was as a child but actually fixed.
So we are on the road to better health, our marriage is at an amazing place right now, our kids make us crazy (but I think that may be normal) although we feel so blessed to have them all in our lives and feel so lucky to have another joining our family in about 3 months! I guess I will take that for now and continue on the journey of improving our lives one day at a time.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment