Today is the first day we don't have football practice since the beginning of Aug. And the first day besides Sunday that I don't have to run kids somewhere (although I am quite sure that will not last long). This was Kain 3rd year playing pop-warner football and Gage's first year.
It was kind of a hard year for Kain #87. The past two years he has been recognized by his coaches for having great hands and always put in a receiver position. This year for whatever reason that didn't happen and he ended up playing offensive line. Which would have been he very last choice had he been given one. Perhaps it is due to the fact that he is always the oldest on his team and with that sometimes comes with being the biggest, although Kain's build certainly doesn't lend itself to being a linebacker no matter his age. Maybe it was due to how his offensive coordinator ran his offense. They only had 3 ball handlers and all three kids played both wide receiver and running back. Even Kain will admit he is never the fastest on his team. He has great hands and certainly isn't the slowest but not really running back material. But whatever the reason he played the game with his whole heart as always. He is a football player through and through. He loves the game. Bottom line.
And lucky for him he does love this game otherwise I am not sure what would have kept him coming back week after week for more. It was certainly frustrating for him at times. Definitely frustrating for Dave and I as parents trying to support both Kain and his coaches but they did not make it easy this year. While his head coach was amazing, his offensive coordinator even told the kids that in the 3 years he has been running his offensive this way he wasn't won a SINGLE game.... and this year he kept his streak alive. Team Chuck Norris finished their season 0-7.
He did awesome though and will be playing again next year for a different league (due to his age not our disappointment with pop-warner). His Dad once told him he plays golf like a football player... I guess that is because that is just what he is.Gage #29, ironically enough got put on the line as well this year. For several years now, despite the fact that by mid march before the ground is even thawed he is asking to get out on a golf course and hit the links, he claims he wants nothing more than to play football like Kain. This year proved that Gage plays football like a golfer. He did great at it. Rarely complained. Showed up to every practice his health didn't keep him from. Always listened and gave it his all each and every game. But has said he will not be returning for more next year. Even though unlike Kain's team, Gage's team finished the year undefeated!
He played in a different division than Kain so they never played against one another (which was probably a good thing for mom and dad). I have had several other moms ask if I was ever concerned about them playing full contact football but honestly with having four boys it doesn't seem much different than our daily play at home so I am just happy they have helmets and pads on when they do it now! But I think watching my boys play against one another may have been too much to bare. The Wildcats had an awesome set of coaches and I am grateful Gage had a good first year of football especially since he decided it really isn't his sport. At least this way he knows for sure what we kind of expected.
We are also grateful we had such awesome weather this year! I remember freezing at so many games in the past towards the end of the season but I think we only had one mildly cold day this year! Next year we will be happy to have a more relaxed schedule of more golf in the summer and slightly less football in the fall!
Now we will be moving onto basketball for the winter....
He played in a different division than Kain so they never played against one another (which was probably a good thing for mom and dad). I have had several other moms ask if I was ever concerned about them playing full contact football but honestly with having four boys it doesn't seem much different than our daily play at home so I am just happy they have helmets and pads on when they do it now! But I think watching my boys play against one another may have been too much to bare. The Wildcats had an awesome set of coaches and I am grateful Gage had a good first year of football especially since he decided it really isn't his sport. At least this way he knows for sure what we kind of expected.
We are also grateful we had such awesome weather this year! I remember freezing at so many games in the past towards the end of the season but I think we only had one mildly cold day this year! Next year we will be happy to have a more relaxed schedule of more golf in the summer and slightly less football in the fall!Now we will be moving onto basketball for the winter....




No comments:
Post a Comment